May 24, 2011

CSC launches!

recruit [ri-kroot] - v. to enlist (a person) for service in one of the armed forces.
1635–45;  < French,  stem of recruter,  derivative of recrue  new growth, noun use of feminine past participle of recroître  ( re- re-  + croître  < Latin crēscere  to grow; compare crescent).
The definition of this word has changed considerably to what it initially meant back then. Recruitment nowadays, is more associated with working within a society than in terms of its original military definition.


The Spartans were known for their very simple recruitment process: you were screened from birth. Those deemed suitable were enrolled in military training from the age of seven onwards to thirty; the age of full citizenship; none of this age-old myth about throwing unsuitable youths over a cliff (a myth glorified in the movie 300).

Nowadays, recruitment goes through several stages involving CV's, cover letters, screening calls, recruiter meetings, face-to-face interviews, phone interviews, reference checks, personality assessments, criminal record checks, and so on. The list is not endless, but it is lengthy.

This is where I come in.

I'm the Serial Candidate. I've been involved in the IT industry for over a decade and have seen my fair share of the recruitment process through countless recruiters, and the by-products of the recruitment process. I'm primarily a contractor, but now in the search for a permanent role.

The search for a new role by any candidate, even myself, is, in itself an adventure. I'd probably be more accurate by calling it a psychological thriller mixed in with a drama (this is the movie fanatic in me, I'm categorizing myself into a genre - if only my life were that simple and predictable!)

My task over the course of this blog, is not only to provide updates of my own search; but to also touch on the unique nuances and habits of recruiters. This won't be a rant, but there may be times where I'll point out things that may not sit well with recruiters. This is only because certain actions can be seen as unprofessional in the eyes of a candidate. The Candidate-Recruiter Dynamic (which I'll term CRD from now on) is vital to ensure that progression from advertisement of a role to the signing of a contracted offer runs smoothly.

Similarly, I may point out similar nuances with clients... the Candidate-Client Dynamic (CCD) is similar to the CRD, but is generally a lot more direct due to the lack of the recruitment officer as a conduit.

I'm happy to receive comments and questions about my posts; of which I will try to answer to the best of my ability or research.

Hope you'll join me on my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment